GRAMMY Amplifier Center Stage Contest
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
Please read these rules before entering the Contest. By entering and participating in the Contest, you agree to be bound by these Official Rules and represent that you satisfy all of the eligibility requirements set forth below.
1. Overview. The Recording Academy (“Sponsor”) is sponsoring the GRAMMY Amplifier Center Stage, a contest providing emerging musicians with an opportunity to enter for a chance to advance their careers with a special recording or performance opportunity. By entering the Contest, entrants fully and unconditionally agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the judges, which will be final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest.
2. Eligibility. Participation is open only to legal residents of the fifty United States or the District of Columbia who are at least thirteen (13) years old as of date of entry. Void outside of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, and where prohibited, taxed or restricted by law. Employees, officers and directors of Sponsor and its parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, advertising and promotion agencies, manufacturers or distributors of Contest materials (collectively, the “Released Parties”) and their immediate families (parents, children, siblings, spouse) or members of the same household (whether related or not) of such employees/officers/directors are not eligible to enter. Contest may only be entered in or from the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, and entries originating from any other jurisdiction are not eligible for entry. You are not authorized to participate in the Contest if you (and all members of your band/group) are not located within the 50 United States or the District of Columbia. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Musicians/bands/groups who, in their current or prior formation, have had any song rank on the Billboard Hot 100 chart or who have received Gold, Platinum or Multi-Platinum certification by the Recording Industry Association of America for a single, shortform album or long-form album are not eligible to enter.
All entry information, Songs and submissions shall be collectively referred to herein as the “Submissions” or each as a “Submission.” By entering, each entrant warrants and represents the following with respect to their Submission: (a) entrant owns or controls all rights in and to the Submission; (b) the Submission is entrant’s own creation; and (c) the Submission will not infringe on any rights of any third parties.
· The Submission must be the original work of the entrant; and
· The Submission must be in English.
· The Submission must not contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement;
· The Submission must not feature brand names or trademarks other than Sponsors marks, which entrant has a limited license to use to incorporate into his/her Submission for this Contest;
· The Submission must not contain material that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; and
One (1) Submission per musician/band/group and SoundCloud account during the Contest Period. Submissions received from any person or account in excess of the stated limit will be void. Submissions generated by script, macro or other automated means are void. Entrant must have permission from all individuals who participated in the creation of the Submission to use their name, performance, likeness, and any other content they furnished for all purposes as contemplated in these Official Rules. If requested, entrant must be able to provide such permissions in a form acceptable to Sponsors. Uploading a Submission constitutes entrant’s consent to give Sponsors a royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, create derivative works from, and display such Submissions in whole or in part, on a worldwide basis, and to incorporate it into other works, in any form, media or technology now known or later developed, including for promotional or marketing purposes. If requested, entrant (and any co-creators) will sign any documentation required for Sponsors or its designees to make use of the non-exclusive rights entrant is granting to use the Submission. All entries will be reviewed for content, and no guarantee is made as to when/if any particular entry will be posted. Entries containing prohibited content and/or otherwise deemed by Sponsor, in its sole discretion, to be inappropriate will be disqualified. Sponsor makes the final determination as to which Submissions are eligible to take part in the Contest.
Receipt of Submissions will not be acknowledged. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, illegible, delayed, stolen, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, misdirected, technically corrupted or garbled entries, which will be disqualified, or for problems of any kind whether mechanical, human or electronic. Proof of submission will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor. Entry must be made by the authorized SoundCloud user at the time of entry.
4. Winner Selection.
A. Round 1 – Online Sharing to Earn Points. The 25 entrants (including ties) who earn the most points as described below will move on to the Judging Round described in Section 4.B below. In order to accumulate points, entrants must use the “share” feature on the Contest Website to promote their Submissions. The “share” feature will enable entrants to generate shareable links to the Contest Website, Facebook and Twitter. Entrants are able to accumulate points by (i) getting Song plays on the Contest Website and (ii) generating social media activity on Twitter and Facebook.
How to accumulate points on the Contest Website:
• Entrant will receive one (1) point each time entrant’s Song is played on the Contest Website.
How to accumulate points via Twitter/Facebook:
• Entrant will receive a maximum of ten (10) points for one of the following actions (must choose only one): (i) sharing entrant’s own Song on Twitter; or (ii) sharing entrant’s own Song on entrant’s Facebook page. If entrant shares the Song on Twitter, entrant will not be awarded additional points for sharing the Song on entrant’s Facebook page. If entrant shares the Song on entrant’s Facebook page, entrant will not be awarded additional points for sharing the Song on Twitter.
• Entrant will receive a maximum of ten (10) points for one of the following actions performed by each fan (not the entrant or any member of his/group, if applicable) who visits the Contest Website (“Fan”): (i) the sharing of entrant’s Song on Twitter via the Contest Website; or (ii) the sharing entrant’s Song on the Fan’s Facebook page via the Contest Website. If the Fan shares the Song on Twitter, entrant will not be awarded additional points for the Fan’s sharing of the Song on the Fan’s Facebook page. If the Fan shares the Song on the Fan’s Facebook page, entrant will not be awarded additional points for the Fan’s sharing the Song on Twitter.
B. Round 2 – Judging .
Semi-Finals : The 25 eligible entrants (including ties) who accumulate the most points in Round one (as described in Section 4A above) will be judged by a panel of qualified judges selected by Sponsor, to select up to 12 finalists, based on the following criteria:
- Originality (18%);
· Song Structure (18%); and
- Commercial Appeal (18%)
Finals : The finalists (maximum 12) whose songs were chosen in the Semi-Final Round will be judged by a leading recording artist (the "Ambassador"), who will evaluate the Finalists' submissions and select three (3) winners using the same criteria as in the Semi-Final Round. Ambassador shall determine which of the three prizes each winner will receive in Ambassador's sole discretion.
6. Prizes. The following three prizes are available:
1. One (1) Studio session with a Grammy-winning producer to work on the song submission in the winning Submission. Producer will be selected to match the
genre of the winning Submission.
2. One (1) Music video shoot by an established director to work on the song submission in the winning Submission. Director will be selected to match the genre of the winning Submission.
3. One (1) Live performance opportunity at a festival or an opening for a major artist appropriate to the genre of the winning Submssion.
All arrangements for each prize opportunity (recording, performance, etc.) must be made in advance, in consultation with Sponsor, to determine locations, schedules, treatments, concepts, amount of studio/shooting time required, equipment, personnel and other logistics, all subject to the maximum budget and to the schedules and availability of the producer, director and venue, as well as the Sponsor’s final discretion on all decisions. All dates, locations, producers, directors, venues, and other prize details are in Sponsor's discretion and subject to change. Maximum number of participants in each prize opportunity is five (5) persons.
Each prize opportunity consists of the following: Round trip airline transportation (coach class) for up to five (5) persons between major U.S. airport nearest winner’s residence and the applicable recording/shoot/performance location in the United States, hotel accommodations (double occupancy, standard room) for up to two (2) nights, and the applicable recording/shoot/performance opportunity. Failure to agree on arrangements within a reasonable time may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. All prize opportunity activities must be completed by August 1, 2014. Ground transportation may be substituted for air if total travel distance is under 300 miles. Winners are solely responsible for the payment of all federal, state and local taxes and all additional meals, beverages, transportation or other expenses or costs relating to the prize not expressly set forth above. Major credit card will be required at hotel check-in to cover any incidental expenses. All participants in prize opportunity must possess all necessary photo ID for air travel, and must travel on the same itinerary. Any person taking part in any prize-related activity who is a minor under the laws of his/her state of residence must be accompanied by parent or legal guardian who also must execute all documents on behalf of the minor.
Maximum value for each prize is $10,000. Actual value may vary depending on number of persons participating, specific travel arrangements made, departure and destination cities, and other details to be mutually agreed with Sponsor. If actual value is under $10,000, no additional reward or payment will be made. Prizes are non-transferable. No substitutions or cash redemptions. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value in the event the advertised prize becomes unavailable. No responsibility is assumed for cancellation of any concert or other events beyond sponsor’s control; if concert is cancelled after travel has been booked, the remainder of the trip may be awarded as the complete prize.
Sponsor reserves the right to cancel or modify this Contest in the event an insufficient number of Submissions are received that meet the minimum eligibility or judging criteria. In the event that the quality of the Submissions is insufficient, the judges or the Ambassador may, in their discretion, decide not to award any prize.
7. Notification. On or about January 3, 2014, Winners will be notified by email and will be required to sign and return, where legal, an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release within three (3) days (or such longer time as Sponsor may permit) of prize notification. If any winner is a band/group, all members must sign any required documents. If any winner (or group member) is considered a minor in his/her jurisdiction of residence, Liability/Publicity Release must be signed by his/her parent or legal guardian. In the event that the winner is a band or group of musicians, each member must sign and return the Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release within the required time frame. If any winner cannot be contacted within three (3) calendar days of first notification attempt, if any winner rejects prize or in the event of noncompliance with these Official Rules, such prize may be forfeited and an alternate winner may be selected from all remaining eligible entries. Upon prize forfeiture, no compensation will be given. Limit one prize per entrant or band/group. Except where prohibited, entry into the Contest and/or acceptance of a prize constitutes consent that the entrant’s and winner’s (including each member of a band or group if a band or group is a winner) name, photograph, picture, portrait, likeness, voice, biographical data and/or statements made by any entrant and/or winner regarding the Contest or Sponsor may be used for advertising and promotional purposes without limitation and without additional notice, compensation, or consent, except where prohibited by law. By entering, each entrant grants Sponsor the perpetual, unlimited, non-exclusive and irrevocable right to post, publish, adapt, edit, and/or otherwise use the Submission for advertising, marketing, promotional and publicity purposes, including without limitation, in connection with the Contest or the GRAMMY Awards, in any media now known or hereafter developed.
8. Conditions. Any federal, state and local taxes are the sole responsibility of the winners. By participating, entrants and winners agree to release and hold harmless the Released Parties, from any and all liability, for loss, harm, damage, injury, cost or expense whatsoever including without limitation, property damage, personal injury and/or death which may occur in connection with, preparation for or participation in Contest, or possession, acceptance and/or use or misuse of prize or participation in any Contest-related activity and for any claims based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy and merchandise delivery. Sponsor is not responsible if Contest cannot take place or if the prize cannot be awarded due to acts of God, acts of war, natural disasters, weather or acts of terrorism. Entrants who do not comply with these Official Rules, or attempt to interfere with this Contest in any way shall be disqualified.
9. Additional Terms. In case of dispute as to the identity of any entrant, entry will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at time of entry. “Authorized Account Holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational, institution, etc.) responsible for assigning email addresses or the domain associated with the submitted email address. Any potential winner may be requested to provide Sponsor with proof that such winner is the authorized account holder of the email address associated with the winning entry. Any other attempted form of entry is prohibited; no automatic, programmed; robotic or similar means of entry are permitted. The Released Parties are not responsible for technical, hardware, software, telephone or other communications malfunctions, errors or failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, web site, Internet, or ISP availability, unauthorized human intervention, traffic congestion, incomplete or inaccurate capture of entry information (regardless of cause) or failed, incomplete, garbled, jumbled or delayed computer transmissions which may limit one’s ability to enter the Contest, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participating in this Contest or downloading any materials in this Contest. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, extend or suspend this Contest should (in its sole discretion) virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the Contest. In such case, Sponsor may select the winners in a fair and equitable manner, as determined by Sponsor in its discretion, in light of the circumstances. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds, in its sole discretion, to be tampering with the entry or points-accumulation process or the operation of the Contest or web site. Sponsor may prohibit an entrant from participating in the Contest or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines that said entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, hacking, deception, or other unfair playing practices (including the use of automated quick entry programs) or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other entrants or Sponsor representatives.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
10. Limitation of Liability; Disclaimer of Warranties. The Released Parties are not responsible for: (a) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrant, printing errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; (b) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (c) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Contest; (d) printing, typographical, technical, computer, network or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest, the uploading, the processing or judging of Submissions or points or the tabulating of points, the announcement of the prizes or in any Contest-related materials; or (e) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize. Released Parties are not responsible for any unauthorized third party use of any Submission. If for any reason an entrant's Submission is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost, or otherwise destroyed or corrupted, entrant’s sole remedy is the ability to upload another Submission into the Contest, provided that if it is not possible due to discontinuance of the Contest, or any part of it, for any reason, Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may determine the potential winners from all of the eligible Submissions received up to the date of discontinuance for any or all of the prizes offered herein. No more than the stated number of prizes will be awarded. IN NO EVENT WILL THE RELEASED PARTIES BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE SERVICE AND/OR THE CONTEST, DOWNLOADING FROM AND/OR PRINTING MATERIAL DOWNLOADED FROM ANY WEBSITES ASSOCIATES WITH THE CONTEST. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, THIS CONTEST AND ALL PRIZES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.
11. Disputes; Governing Law. The parties waive all rights to trial in any action or proceeding instituted in connection with these Official Rules, including, without limitation, the Contest. Any controversy or claim arising out of or relating to these Official Rules and/or the Contest shall be settled by binding arbitration in accordance with the commercial arbitration rules of the American Arbitration Association. Any such controversy or claim shall be arbitrated on an individual basis, and shall not be consolidated in any arbitration with any claim or controversy of any other party. The arbitration shall be conducted in the State of California, City of Los Angeles.
THESE OFFICIAL RULES AND THE INTERPRETATION OF ITS TERMS SHALL BE GOVERNED BY AND CONSTRUED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA WITHOUT REGARD TO ITS CONFLICTS OF LAWS RULES. For any matters which are not subject to arbitration as set forth in these Official Rules and/or in connection with the entering of any judgment on an arbitration award in connection with these Official Rules and/or the Contest, the parties irrevocably submit and consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the state and federal courts located in or closest to the County of Los Angeles in the State of California. The parties agree not to raise the defense of forum non conveniens.
13. Winner List. To obtain a list of winners, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope by 2/28/14 to: ATTN: GRAMMY Amplifier Center Stage Winner List, The Recording Academy, 3030 Olympic Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA 90404.
14. Sponsor. The Recording Academy, 3030 Olympic Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA 90404.
15. Facebook/Twitter: By participating, you release Facebook and Twitter and their parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, employees, directors, agents, advertising agencies, from any and against any and all injury, loss or damage caused or claimed to be caused by your participation in the Contest and/or the acceptance, awarding, receipt, use and/or misuse of the prize. Any information you submit online is to the Sponsor and not to Facebook or Twitter. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook or Twitter.